You can get a stimulus check in 2021 if you did not receive one (or both) direct payments

You can get a stimulus check in 2021 if you did not receive one (or both) direct payments

While Americans are waiting to receive the $600 stimulus check and the $600 per dependent that was provided by the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations, there are eligible individuals who didn’t receive the first direct payments and many who may not receive the second. How can these people get the money in 2021?

Despite the millions of direct payments that have been made, there have been people who, due to some mistake, or because the IRS did not have the necessary information, or because their last tax return did not reflect their reality during 2020, did not receive the money that was due to them.

Here are five cases in which an individual could claim money corresponding to the first or second stimulus check, through the Recovery Rebate Credit with their 2020 tax return and get the money this year.

1. Claim $ 1,200 if you were a minor dependent in 2019 but are no longer one

If your parents claimed you as a dependent in 2019 when you were under 17 years old, they will no longer be able to do so in tax year 2020. Therefore, you can file a 2020 tax return and receive a stimulus check of $ 1,200, even if your income it is so low that you are not required to file a return.

2. Claim $ 1,200 if you were a dependent adult in 2019 but no longer are.

Let's say your adult children took care of you in 2019 and claimed you as a dependent on the tax return they filed for 2019. If they don't claim you as a dependent in 2020, you could receive a stimulus payment of $ 1,200 when you file your federal income tax return for that year.

You can claim a missing payment when you file your 2020 tax retur

3. Claim a missing difference in 2020

Stimulus checks are based on 2019 or 2018 adjusted gross income (AGI). So if you filed a tax return as a single individual and your 2019 AGI was $ 110,000 (too high to receive a stimulus payment), But in 2020 you lost your job and your AGI was less than the threshold of $ 75,000, you can claim the check when you file the 2020 tax return.

Also, if you received a partial payment based on your 2019 AGI and your income has decreased, you may receive additional money from the IRS.

4. Claim $ 500 if you had or adopted a child in 2020

Again, the IRS based the payments on the tax returns that taxpayers filed for 2018 or 2019 but the situation may have changed during 2020. If in 2019 you did not declare a dependent under 17 years old, but in the last year you had a child or you adopted a child, that minor qualifies for the $ 500. You can claim this on your 2020 tax return and receive the additional stimulus payment for each eligible child.

5. Claim $ 1,200 if you just forgot to do it in 2020

Let's say you are a 20-year-old college student, who did not file a tax return for 2028 or 2019, and you also did not find out that you can provide information through the Non-filers tool.

In this case, you can claim your $ 1,200 from the stimulus payment on your 2020 tax return.

The same applies to low-wage workers or homeless people who are not normally required to file a tax return.

The IRS has reminded individals to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on their 2020 Form 1040 or 1040-SR

6. Claim one (or both) stimulus checks if you are a US citizen married to someone without a SSN

Under the CARES Act both spouses filing jointly needed to have a a Social Security number to qualify for a relief check, but this time, eligible members of mixed-status families will be eligible for checks.

If you file jointly with your spouse and only one individual has a valid SSN, the spouse with a valid SSN will receive up to a $600 payment and up to $600 for each qualifying child claimed on the 2019 tax return.

Citizen family members will also be able to receive the first check retroactively if they meet the other eligibility requirements.

7. Claim one (or both) payments per dependent if you are a US citizen married to someone without a SSN

As eligibility criteria has changed and now US born children from mixed-status families qualify for payments. Now, for a qualifying child to be considered eligible, one spouse must have a SSN that’s valid for employment, if the qualifying child is claimed by spouses filing a joint return.

As said before, Us born children will also be able to receive the first check retroactively.

Related Articles

More News

More News