The IRS is trying to contact nearly 9 million people who are eligible for the $ 1200 stimulus check but for whom the agency does not have the necessary information. Read on to learn how the Non-filers tool is used to claim the money.
There are almost 9 million people who have no obligation to file taxes because they have very low or no income and whom the IRS has not been able to locate. In order to obtain their data, the agency has created a tool for potential direct payment beneficiaries to enter their data.
Until November 21, you can use Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here to register for your payment If you did not:
• File a 2019 federal tax return
• Get an Economic Impact Payment
• Register for an Economic Impact Payment already.
This may include people receiving federal benefits such as:
• Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), survivor benefits
• Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients
• Recipients of Veterans Affairs Compensation and Pension (C&P) benefits
• Individuals who receive Railroad Retirement (RRB) benefits
Enter your data
To begin, before the November 21 deadline, you must enter the option "Enter Info Payment Here" on the IRS.gov page and provide the following information:
• Full name, current mailing address, and an email address
• Date of birth and valid Social Security number
• Bank account number, type, and routing number, if you have one
• Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) you received from the IRS earlier this year if you have one
(Taxpayers who previously have been issued an Identity Protection PIN but lost it, must use the Get an IP PIN tool to retrieve their numbers)
• Driver’s license or state-issued ID, if you have one
• For each qualifying child during 2019: name, Social Security number or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number and their relationship to you or your spouse
What comes next?
1) You must create an account by providing your email address and phone number; and establishing a user ID and password.
2) You will be directed to a screen where you will input your filing status (Single or Married filing jointly) and personal information.
Note: Make sure you have a valid Social Security number for you and your spouse, and a valid Social Security number or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number for each dependent you want to claim for the Economic Impact Payment.
3) Check the “box” if someone can claim you as a dependent or your spouse as a dependent.
4) Complete your bank information (otherwise we will send you a check).
5) You will be directed to another screen where you will enter personal information to verify yourself. Simply follow the instructions. You will need your driver’s license (or state-issued ID) information. If you don't have one, leave it blank.
You will receive an email from Customer Service at Free File Fillable Forms, a trusted IRS partner, that either acknowledges you have successfully submitted your information, or that tells you there is a problem and how to correct it.
Free File Fillable forms will use the information to automatically complete a Form 1040 and transmit it to the IRS to compute and send you a payment.