Find out if you have the right skills…
You can earn a $41,000 annual salary as a Personnel Specialist for the City of Norfolk, VA. This position is located in Norfolk, VA.
- Work requires broad knowledge in a general professional or technical field. Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature which may be obtained with a two-year associate's degree.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Previous recruiting and/or disability management experience.
- Strong customer service focus.
- Extreme attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- High level of organization skills.
- Motivated & innovative.
- Ability to maintain multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to cultivate and build strong positive working relationships with all levels within the department, organization and with external partners and/or vendors.
- Experience with PeopleSoft and/or NEOGOV or a similar applicant tracking system (ATS).
- Self-starter, ability to work well independently.
- Assists with departmental recruitment efforts by performing full-cycle recruitment responsibilities; prepares job advertisements for open positions, screen and evaluate applicant qualifications, performing salary analysis, interpreting the compensation plan and making salary recommendations, participating in the interview process, scheduling background & polygraphs and processing paperwork for new employees.
- First point of contact for both internal and external customers.
- Assists with the coordination of and attends Fire-Rescue and Norfolk Police Recruit testing and assessment centers.
- May assist with the employee selection process by developing interview questions and scheduling interviews, conducting reference checks and preparing candidate selection paperwork and preparing offer letters for review by the Department of Human Resources.
- Facilitate new employee orientation for Recruit new hires.
- Participates in career fairs by representing the department as needed/when applicable.
- Assists the department with the promotional process by coordinating accommodations for assessors and other related needs.
- Reviews and processes various personnel and human resource action requests.
- Assists the Department of Human Resources in the coordination of the department's disability management program by entering and managing workers compensation claims and workplace injuries; administers short- and long-term disability, FMLA, etc.
- Serve as a resource and provide technical assistance to management and staff by interpreting personnel policies and procedures; advice regarding a variety of personnel management matters.
- Provides basic benefits information to employees. May coordinate with the Department of Human Resources regarding annual open enrollment.
- Gathers, analyzes, and maintains various human resources related reports.
- May assist with the coordination and processing of employee grievances, disciplinary actions and other departmental employment relations related issues.
- Serve as a liaison and/or representative to both internal and external customers and/or vendors. May be assigned as a point of contact for a specific initiative or program.
- Gathers and provides data to other municipalities as requested.
- May represent the department at Civil Service meetings.
- Assist with various training efforts as needed.
- Ensures compliance with departmental and City policies and procedures and federal, state and local employment-related laws (FMLA, FLSA, ADA, ADEA, USERRA, Title VII, Workers Compensation, etc.).
- Serve as a back-up Personnel Specialist for the Norfolk Police Department.
- Performs other duties, responsibilities and special projects as assigned.
Click here to see more information.
Click here to see another job.