Many empanada recipes are such closely-guarded secrets in most Latin-America or Spanish-influenced families.
This is maybe one of the most iconic dishes in countries in Latin America.
In Argentina, they stuff the empanadas with grind meat and chicken.
Let's learn how to make this delicious Taco Bell’s Caramel Apple Empanada Recipe without spending a fortune.
Best thing? You can make dozens of them and freeze them so you can always have empanadas whenever you want!
Apple compote filling:
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour, add more as needed
- 4 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled & sliced
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup caramel sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 rolled pie crusts, roughly 1 lb total
- ¼ cup egg whites
- ¼ cup cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, and flour together and set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring apples and water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and let cook for 10 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Remove from the heat then fold in sugar-flour mixture, caramel sauce, and butter.
- Stir well until the mixture is combined. You may add more flour as needed if the sauce is too thin.
- Unroll the pie crusts and slightly thin out the dough with a rolling pin.
- Use a cereal bowl or medium size ring mold to trace and cut out the shape in the dough. Then place the cut-out doughs onto a lined baking tray.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the apple compote on each of the circles, leaving about ½ inch of the edges uncovered.
- Wet the edges of the pie crusts with a little water, and fold over the circle in half.
- Use a fork to press and seal the edges.
- Brush the egg whites over the top of each hand pie.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm or even add some vanilla ice cream to top and enjoy!