If you are not careful enough, food might drain your budget. However, this is an inevitable expense. Here are some budget-friendly recipes for you to try out.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture, the average family of four spends around $700 to $1,000 a month on food. That’s a lot of money, especially considering that most families waste around 40% of their food each month. However, if you make some meals, you might improve your spending and reduce your waste.
Here are 3 recipes that are budget-friendly and really easy to make.
1- Classic beef and tomato macaroni soup
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 cup onion diced
• 3 cloves garlic minced
• 6 cups very strong beef broth
• 1- 28 ounce can Chopped Tomatoes
• 1- 28 ounce can whole Tomatoes
• 1/2 cup ketchup
• 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar to taste( if you have sweeter ketchup you may not need it)
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 3 cups cooked elbow macaroni OR 2 cups dry macaroni to add in at the end
• salt and pepper as desired
1. In a medium frying pan, brown the ground beef, onion and garlic until ground beef is no longer pink. Drain the grease and place in a large crockpot.
2. Add the broth, cans of chopped and whole tomatoes, Worcestershire, ketchup, brown sugar (if desired) and Italian seasoning. Add more sugar and Worcestershire to taste if needed. Place the lid on the crockpot and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
3. When you are ready to serve, either add the dry macaroni and let cook for 20-25 minutes OR add cooked macaroni. Let the macaroni heat through and serve!
2- One-pan cheesy chicken, broccoli and rice
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced finely
• 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• 1 cup uncooked extra long-grain white rice
• 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 2 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1. In a large skillet or pan, sauté onions in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Once onions soften, increase the heat to medium-high and add chicken to the pan.
3. Brown the chicken pieces and add the garlic. Cook for about 1 more minute.
4. Push chicken to one side of the pan and add an additional tablespoon of olive oil to the other side.
5. Add the uncooked rice in the olive oil and saute it for a couple of minutes.
6. Add the chicken broth to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pan with a lid.
7. Cook chicken and rice mixture covered for about 12 minutes.
8. Sprinkle the broccoli evenly over the chicken and rice mixture and stir to combine.
9. Continue to cook covered another 8 minutes on low, or until broccoli and rice are both tenders.
10. Remove from heat and stir in half a cup of cheese.
11. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover with a lid, letting it sit for 1-2 minutes or until cheese has melted.
3- Spinach and Artichoke rice bowl
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 garlic clove finely minced
• ½ small onion diced
• 1 cup cremini mushrooms chopped
• Salt and pepper
• 1 package Knorr Selects Spinach & Artichoke Rice
• 1 ½ cups Knorr Homestyle Chicken Stock
• 1 cup of water
• Grilled meat any kind
• Assorted grilled vegetables
• Fresh parsley for garnish optional
1. Using a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and add the garlic and onions and sauté for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for the other 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In the same pan, pour in the Knorr Selects Spinach & Artichoke Rice, the chicken stock and the water and stir together. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and boil, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, while stirring frequently until your rice is tender and the sauce is creamy.
3. Turn off the heat. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
4. Assemble your rice bowl: divide the cooked Knorr Selects Spinach & Artichoke Rice between 3-4 bowls, top with grilled meats and grilled vegetables. Sprinkle on some fresh parsley for garnish if desired. Serve and enjoy!